Whatever colour your print, make it greener
At Prodigi, we strive to be a sustainable, ethical business, and work hard to ensure we mitigate our impact on the environment, whilst actively benefiting the communities in which we work.
We do this in a number of ways.
Our mission is to make global printing, local. According to the International Transport Forum, international trade-related freight transport is responsible for 7% of all carbon emissions globally. By operating an international network of print labs — connected through our software — we help online businesses produce products closer to the end consumer to significantly reduce carbon emissions.
Eco friendly products
We offer a vast range of eco friendly print on demand products across our portfolio. From recycled t-shirts and phone cases to recyclable totes, we aim to provide a diverse product range for any ethical trading brand. To help you choose the right products for your business, we have identified the sustainability credentials for every item and these are clearly marked on the product pages of our website.
Sustainable paper & card
FSC-certified forests are managed with consideration for people, wildlife and the environment. They are independently audited to ensure they meet the FSC Principles and Criteria for Forest Management.
We use FSC-approved paper stocks and packaging wherever practically possible. 100% of all packaging used in Prodigi owned facilities is FSC accredited.
Where our labs are not using FSC accredited print stocks, pulp is sourced from sustainably managed forests. Sustainably-managed forests meet the needs of wildlife while supporting livelihoods and providing many other ecosystem services, such as carbon storage and flood risk mitigation.
Neo pigment, water-based inks are 100% non-hazardous, toxin-free and vegan friendly. They meet the strictest industry standards as defined by Oeko-Tex 100 safety applications for infant wear, Global Organic Textiles (GTOTS-3V), Residues Standard List (RSL) and the American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists.
Eco solvent inks derive from ether extracts taken from refined mineral oil. While they still contain harmful solvents, they have a lower VOC content than standard solvent inks and are significantly less hazardous.
We have minimised the use of solvent inks throughout our supply chain and ensure either neo pigment or eco solvent inks are used.
Organic cotton is grown using methods and materials that have a low impact on the environment. Organic production systems replenish and maintain soil fertility, reduce the use of synthetic pesticides and fertilizers, and build biologically diverse agriculture. We offer organic cotton options across our apparel collection.
Due to the longer times taken to biodegrade, we avoid using plastics in our products wherever practicable.
We always choose products with the highest possible recycled content to include in our eco friendly ranges.
Sustainable supply chain
In addition to our own internal measures, we are continually working in partnership with our global network to improve the sustainability of both our products and services.
As part of our rigorous procurement processes, we screen our suppliers for compliance with both fair labour and sustainability standards. We look to partner where possible with suppliers who are ISO 14001, ISO 24000 or ISO 26000 compliant. We also actively seek to work with labs who use renewable energy over standard grid electricity.
As a minimum, all our partners must adhere to anti child labour and anti forced labour regulations, as well as providing traceability for all core raw materials.
Our sustainability action plan
Sustainability is at the core of our business, and we operate our own management system to control and mitigate our environmental impacts. Our action plan highlights a number of objectives which we track our performance against.
This includes measures to:
- Improve the energy efficiency of our production facilities: this includes utilising energy energy efficient IT, energy efficient appliances & lighting, plus generating solar power on site at our production facilities.
- Reduce both potable and non potable water consumption: by installing tap aerators and hippos at all production facilities, and consuming only tap not bottled water.
- Reduce waste to landfill: waste is minimised and recycled wherever possible.
- Reduce materials usage: choosing locally sourced, recycled and reusable goods where practicable, as well as committing to digital only marketing resources, plus applying principles of Lean manufacturing across our production facilities.
- Reduce transport carbon emissions: for our customers, by printing as local to the end consumer as possible, and for our staff — by encouraging the use of environmentally friendly transport (Cycle to Work scheme & subsidised transport in place), and off-setting any staff transport carbon impacts.
- Support fair trade: by purchasing only Fair Trade certified consumables across all our infrastructure.
- Promote ethical procurement: by making ethical and sustainability factors key criteria in our selection of suppliers.
Both environmentally and socially responsible
For more information on any of our activities you can contact our business sustainability team.